Friday, January 26, 2007

Pity is Very Underrated

Last night one of my eyes kinda hurt after I took my contacts out, but I figured it'd go away. I was wrong. Instead of curling up in my comfy bed and dreaming the night away, I lied awake for most of the night. The sharp pain that stabbed my eye was almost unbearable. All I could do was lie there. I tried to look at my eye in the bathroom mirror, but that wasn't gonna happen. I couldn't pry my eyelids open when the light was on. It hurt too bad.

Morning finally came, and so did help. One of our neighbors, Dr. McClain, is a retired ophthalmologist from Wyoming. He came over with some of his instruments and - immediately after looking at my eye - made the diagnosis: "you've got an ulcer." He used our computer to look up a few brand names of the antibiotic eye drops that I needed. And then came the joy of finding a very specific medicine in a third world country. As I lied upstairs in bed, my parents called lots...and lots...and lots of pharmacies. None of them carried our first choice antibiotic, but one pharmacy had Gentamicina, our other option. My parents took the boat to town and picked up the eye drops, which I am now using every two hours.

Living at home isn't always a joy ride, but it sure is nice when something like this happens. Soon, when I move out, I'll miss that. Who wouldn't? As George on Seinfeld says, "pity is very underrated." :)

Oh yeah, and the eye is steadily feeling better and opening wider. The ulcer is visible, which is kinda cool, but hopefully it won't be tomorrow.

No comments: